Paul Hammant wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:32 -0400:
> If you ask people comfortable with donating code via PR to email patches
> (or similar) to dev@ instead, you'll get a 1/100th contribution rate. Or
> worse.

FWIW my experience is the opposite.  On $otherproject we also receive
patches via email but have a github mirror that people sometimes open
PRs on; we generally either merge their patches directly or ask them to
re-send by email, to which they usually respond positively.  (But on the other
hand, I have also seen people who plain don't know how to participate in
an open source project that doesn't use github.)