* Does the CHANGES file need to be updated before we can roll RC1?

In my opinion this is a "documentation change" and we can release an RC1 with incomplete CHANGES for the first 3 weeks of soak period, and release RC2 with completed CHANGES (whether any other changes are needed or not) for the last week of soak period.

danielsh said on IRC a few days ago,

https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#rolling-release
-> the first step is to write CHANGES. We haven't done that, have we?
I guess we should either bring CHANGES up to date, or call the
tarball 1.10.0-beta1.
http://home.apache.org/~danielsh/subversion-20171219_001/ has beta1
artifacts. Unfortunately they aren't signed by me (PEBKAC)
Should we release beta1 or go ahead with RC1?

* What do we know about the current up-to-date-ness of CHANGES?

It looks like a lot of changes are listed already. Do we have to review every change since 1.9 or is there some subset of that work that we can accept as having been done already? stsp and danielsh, you two added most of the entries, so CC'ing you.

* Does anyone volunteer to do some updating?

I could probably take on a guided subset of it in January; not a complete review.

- Julian