Julian Foad wrote on Wed, 24 Jan 2018 21:32 +0000:
> When 'svn patch' applies an 'add file' patch onto a WC path whose local
> schedule is 'delete', it changes the schedule to 'replace'.
>
> Sequences such as this...
>
>  > svn rm foo
>  > svn diff > rm-foo.diff
>  > svn patch --reverse-diff rm-foo.diff
>
> or this...
>
>  > svn add foo
>  > svn diff > add-foo.diff
>  > svn commit
>  > svn patch --reverse-diff add-foo.diff
>  > svn patch add-foo.diff
>
> ... result in 'foo' being scheduled as 'replace'.

In both of these examples, the result is a working copy in which a file
is scheduled to be replaced (without history) by another file that is
textually identical to it.  Do you also have examples for wanting to
reduce a replace into a modification where the replacing file would be
textually different from the replaced file?

> It is not inherently necessary that shelving and manual use of 'svn
> patch' should share the same solution, but in this case I think that is
> best.

Cheers,

Daniel