Johan Corveleyn wrote on Tue, 24 Aug 2021 14:25 +00:00:
> OTOH, if this kind of behaviour is too far-fetched for a single
> subcommand, I might be able to do it by invoking two commands, if I
> could succesfully (and invisibly) detect that a cached password is no
> longer correct. As in:
>
>     svn ls --non-interactive $URL >/dev/null
>     # if exit-code != 0, parse error code to see if it indicates "auth failed"
>     if ("auth failed"):
>         svn auth add $URL

What happens if a valid username/password are cached that have read-
only access and one wants to preseed a username/password that have read-
write access?

> But then the burden is on me detecting the "auth failed" correctly,
> and making sure it's the "password refused" kind of auth failure (I
> guess there's an error code for that).

There's an error code for that, but it's the E000042 value in stderr,
not the exit code.  The exit code is generally 1 (unless segfault or
something).