That looks like it would work and the proposal sounds ok. Comments:
- Is there precedent for an optional log message in nearby methods? If so, make
it consistent.
- I would use 'None' as the argument default value, and change the test to 'if
logmsg is None:' (literally), so the caller is able to set an empty message if
they want to;
- As an alternative possible approach, did you see if the xml output matching
function you are using can accept regular expression matching? Many of our
matching functions in the test suite can, but I didn't look at this.

Anyway I'd support a change like this even if regex matching the output is an
alternative.

- Julian
- Julian