Daniel Sahlberg wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 16:51:33 +0200:
> Den tors 31 mars 2022 kl 16:29 skrev Nathan Hartman <
> hartman.nat...@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:12 AM Daniel Sahlberg
> > <daniel.l.sahlb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm guessing you figured out how to run the script! Did you use the Perl
> > or the Python variation? I'm curious if the Python script is more powerful
> > and better at handling merge failures.
> >
> > I just went ahead and ran it on my workstation, basically by checking
> > out the branch, changing to its root directory, and running YES=1
> > MAY_COMMIT=1 ../svn-trunk/tools/dist/backport.pl. Which means I ran
> > the Perl version. :-)
> >
> > It would be cool if there were a way to manually trigger svn-role do
> > its thing, but it's not super important.
> >

> Committing a "1" to STATUS.RUNNOW which is checked by a cronjob running
> every minute? But then the problem below is still there.

Suppose Infra gave PMC members a way to commit with svn:author=svn-role,
would that solve the problem?

> >> Related question: Why don't we run the cron job more frequently? :)

FWIW, when backport.pl was written, I scheduled it to 04Z because that
was a time when most developers were inactive, so it was unlikely to
cause conflicts for people by merging a bunch of stuff halfway through
their workday.

That doesn't answer whether we should change the setting; just
explaining where it originates.

> > > I've also asked this question to myself. There was a discussion
> > elsewhere (in the thread regarding migration of svn-qavm (in private@),
> > quoted from memory) where someone mentioned a rare race condition with
> > backport.pl if there was simultaneous commits to STATUS from someone
> > else. This had happened some time in 2013 (?) when two cronjobs was
> > executed simultaneous (on svn-qavm1 and svn-qavm2, during another
> > migration) and they stepped on the toes of each other causing conflicts.
> > There was a comment "this could happen also because of a manual commit to
> > STATUS but we don't have so many commits at 04:00Z so the risk is quite
> > low". I can't judge the risk of this.
> >
> > Hmm, I was going to suggest to run it more frequently around release
> > time but the above sounds like a good reason not to!! Until it gets
> > sorted out...
>

> We should probably think about sorting this out. I'll dig out the original
> thread and make a summary here, but not until after the relase.

If you mean
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/201610.mbox/%3CCABw-3Yf6-B2JOMj58ZQDCLLOSpgdXZOWXEDGi0-TEYsr2VFCsw%40mail.gmail.com%3E>,
it was fixed in backport.py at the time.

Cheers,

Daniel