On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 3:12 PM Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 01:29:43PM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Stefan Sperling wrote on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:55 +00:00:
> > > I think it would be better to have such details spelled out in English
> > > in a manner that is easy to understand for anyone, with illustrating
> > > examples, instead of (or in addition to) mathematical notation that
> > > requires abstract thinking to figure out.
> >
> > I'm unable to interpret this charitably.
>
> Fine, I'll best just shut up then.

Please, let's not have any of that!!

You made a perfectly valid point that if we start releasing more frequent
LTS .0 versions, we would end up promising to support too many lines
simultaneously. I hadn't considered that because I was working from the
assumption that we aren't releasing new lines frequently enough for that to
be a problem, but we'd better document that in HACKING so the dev community
doesn't forget that in the future and create that situation. Maybe it'll be
an explanation about when to call a release LTS vs Regular. E.g., if there
exist two supported release lines then any further releases should be
Regular until the older LTS drops out.

Also it's a valid point that the explanation about support periods should
be easy to understand.

Cheers,
Nathan