On Sat, May 04, 2024 at 09:24:58PM +0200, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m personally not an IRC user but I try to keep an eye on the IRC logs.
> For personal reasons I haven’t had time to do since the start of the year
> but I spent some time tonight to browse the archives.
>
> Since January there were somewhere between 5 and 10 persons asking
> questions and NO ONE got a timely reply. On the other hand we have had a
> slow but steady stream of questions on users@ and they have received
> replies from different members of the community.
>
> I think the lack of replies on IRC reflects badly on the community. I’m not
> able to put any energy into following the IRC channels and I cannot ask
> anyone else either. But I think the mailing lists could absorb these
> questions and give timely answers.
>
> For this reason, I suggest that we discontinue the IRC channels (remove
> them from libera.chat) or at least change the topic to indicate that they
> are no longer “official” and to refer all questions to the mailing lists.
> The website should of course be updated accordingly.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Daniel Sahlberg

I am not sure whether outright removing (aka "dropping") our Libera
channels from ChanServ is a good idea. Anyone could re-register a
dropped channel and squat on the name and/or impersonate the project.

Given this, I suppose the #svn users channel should be marked as
unmaintained in the topic. Redirecting questions to the mailing
list via the topic line should work well enough.

The #svn-dev channel might still be useful for quick communication
during bursts of increased project activity. I would keep it around.

Cheers,
Stefan