On 6/22/09, Kevin Nagel <auye...@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dmenu shows you only a list of commands specified by PATH. It opens
no
dmenu reads a (possibly empty) list of items, then one can select an
item or type something different, then dmenu outputs the
selected/typed item

what you mean is the dmenu_run script which uses dmenu to execute commands

> the app then without any parameters and while selecting for an app
> (or command) there is no description what it does. I think sth like
dmenu_run can execute commands with parameters

> code completion + brief description + argument specification is the
> value of enso.
dmenu already has completion, on unix brief description + argument
specification is man(1)

the power of dmenu is its simplicity, what you describe is a terminal
with a command interpreter, eg you can use xterm+sh+unix tools
(presumably more powerful than enso)

> Another neat thing is you could open, e.g. open openoffice writer,
> type in "2+3/5", highlight, type in enso-terminal "calc this", and
before you can reach the mouse to highlight, you could type that in bc(1)
(plan9 fans may point at plumbing instead..)