Sorry for the fwd:fwd..i had some mail issues

--- Begin Message ---

Begin forwarded message:

From: pancake <panc...@youterm.com>
Date: October 5, 2009 3:32:53 PM GMT+02:00
To: panc...@youterm.com
Subject: Fwd: [dev] Suckless word processing solution?

Begin forwarded message:

From: pancake <panc...@youterm.com>
Date: October 5, 2009 3:04:00 PM GMT+02:00
To: dev mail list <dev@suckless.org>
Subject: Re: [dev] Suckless word processing solution?

I know that it may sound like reinventing the wheel.. Because it is in fact the wheel reinvented.

Vi is the visual ed, but I have never seen any implementation using ed. They just embed it inside the 'GUI' .

I think that having all the editing engine implemented in ed is simple to wrap it into a GUI based on X11 or ncurses.

Vim supports launching apps to filter text, but it is not the main way to work. Because is more optimal and easy to port to other os like dos or w32.

Syntax highlighting is something that can be implemented in a filter program. The same for indent, line numbering, text alignment, etc..

I love vim, but I feel that most of the capabilities it supports are embedded in the editor instead of using a unixlike design based on pipes and filters.

Autocompletion, ctags, searchs,,.. Can be implemented outside the GUI without much pain.

We just need a GUI that supports X11, ncurses, sdl or OpenGL that allows to bind some keybindings to run commands at Ed level or change the filters for example.

The main problem in this application is to find the good simplification of the design to allow good flexibility, performance.

Yep, it's the wheel problem again, but I'm just trying to give some spots on things that have been already thinked probably in the past.

Acme from plan9 is an interesting approach, but it is unusable and inproductive if you don't want or have a mouse with 3 buttons. My keyboard has at least 105 keys and there are some of them that are still with no use.

I understand that having a pointer device as a selector input hugely simplifies the code, but at least for me is not a solution for eficient text editing.

It's like when people from notepad.exe discovers the magic of hjkl. Efficient text ediing requires some training. And we have to find an intermediate point between code complexity and user interface.

Any proposal?