On 16/01/10 15:41, Joseph Xu wrote:
This is a little surprising to me as I'm used to putting includes in
include files all the time. I do use #ifdef header guards, and I've
never really had any problems violating this rule. So my first question
is, has anybody actually ran into problems due to violating this rule?
And secondly, does this rule apply to C++? For example, if I'm defining
a class that std::vector members, I ordinarily add a #include<vector>  in
the header.

You might not be having problems but he's saying that all that code passing through the lexical analyser will be slowing the compile down. If you put the #ifdef in the top file doing the includes then include files will be opened only the once and not many times.

Jon.