On 29 May 2010, at 23:29, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:

You mean, install is just meant as a wrapper around the standard
tools
to express the actions in a more compact way. (btw: It's a shame that
install isn't a shell script then.)

Well. why isn't man(1) a shell-script? And what about the dozens of other
tools which could be trivially implemented in sh?

some loop over the directories in $MANPATH to look for the manpage,
nroff -man $f | $PAGER

Even the BSDs have man as a binary program. I can't speak for solaris or
anything else, but I guess they don't differ in that point either

It's a shell script on Plan 9, which surprised me, actually. 149 lines.

Also hi everyone. :) I joined the list because I thought rc-httpd might go down well here (oh hey, more shell script), but I may well use some of the tools on my PDA if I can beat gcc into submission (it's misbehaving badly) or preferably use kencc to compile stuff for linux.

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis