On 15 Jun 2010, at 00:28, Antoni Grzymala wrote:

Bjartur Thorlacius dixit (2010-06-14, 23:24):

On 6/14/10, Matthew Bauer <mjbaue...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wish modern filesystems would allow some way of identifying a file type besides in the filename. It seems like that would make things more straight
forward.

Surely many modern filesystem support xattrs (extended file attributes)?
One should be able to use them to store media types.

Should, or will?

Besides, hfs has had this feature (along with the whole data/resource
fork schizophreny) for the last 15 or twenty years.

I think hfs only has that feature for backwards compatibility, I haven't seen any sign of its use in Mac OS X.

I get the impression storing file type information was much more common in the past, which raises the question why is it not now? I think it's pointless because most file types can be identified from their first few bytes. This loops back around to my content-type argument, why should the server go looking for file type when the client gets it handed to it anyway?

--
Complexity is not a function of the number of features. Some features exist only because complexity was _removed_ from the underlying system.