On 31 Jul 2010, at 5:16, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

On 31 Jul 2010, at 3:54, Kris Maglione wrote:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 03:35:46AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
On the subject of distros I would like to promote Source Mage as a class above Gentoo and Arch, although it's really not the right distro for this topic. I think of it as a class above the purely rolling update distros because the Source Mage folk found a way to produce a fairly reliable stable version with frequent releases despite having a small team. It's certainly not in the same class as Slackware for reliability, but fixing packages in Source Mage is probably easier than in most distros.

The only reason I won't use Source Mage is that it doesn't do binary packages. I used BSD for a lot of years, and tended to build from source for a lot of those years, even on slow machines. But I eventually started using pkg_add -R, and now I'm just not willing to build my entire system from source anymore. It's certainly nice to have a package system that makes building from source easy (I still do it often enough), but it's frankly insane for it to be the only option.

Aye, they have finally started on a binary 'grimoire', after years of "it would be nice." :) I don't know how much is in it, certainly firefox, almost certainly gcc since people need a binary gcc to fix their system more often than any other package. Last I checked I thought the binary grimoire was growing rapidly but I don't remember how big it was.

My bad, the 'rapid growth' was confined to the summer of last year with none at all this year. Now they seem to have a policy of only packaging binaries where upstream supply them, basically confining their binary stuff to heavyweight GUI apps and a few Java oddities. And there I was so hopeful, lol.

http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/grimoire/codex/binary/ChangeLog
http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/grimoire/codex/binary/