On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Joseph Xu <joseph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When we're talking about a small script with trivial running time
> (which is not necessarily the case here), the 10x slower startup time
> for python does make a difference when you're programmatically
> executing the script several thousand times.

...and this is precisely the garden path that people followed to
create modern massive web frameworks.  "We'll just have an always-on
python program that directly serves http!  Wait, then we can't use our
existing web daemon's caching, authentication, or load-balancing.  No
problem!  We'll just have multiple python httpds, sitting behind a
caching mechanism, and we'll proxy to that from a web server."

It's possible to get very good performance with such a stack ... but
it's definitely not in line with the suckless.org methodology.

--
# Kurt H Maier