As for the flag not going away, when does it happen?

It did not occur since then. You can consider it a very minor issue. Please fix the more annoying ones first if you find the time. I am thinking of issue 201 and of course the infamous issue 22. ;)

There's a known bug
where the wedged indication appears for all clients, due to the timer that pings the clients dieing, but it happens so rarely that I always forget to fix it.

I had some emacs, evince, and xterm clients. Only the xterms were not indicated as wedged.

If it only happens for a select few clients which aren't actually unresponsive then it's hard to say and the most likely explanation is that they advertise that they'll respond to pings but for some reason don't. However, I don't think I've seen this happen.

Looks like you can't do anything in this case anyway.

--
Thomas Dahms