On Tue 17 May 2011 10:27:56 AM PDT, Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> Thanks for you ruby wmiirc I am having a lot of fun working with
> it.

Glad you like it; thanks for the kind words.

> I have a question regarding dual screens and your wmiirc.
>
> I posted a similar message to the suckless list as well, but I
> thought I would ask you specifically about your ruby config.

Yeah I saw that; didn't know how to answer it. :)

> Is it possible to add an event hook to look for the creation of a
> specific client, e.g. VLC,

Yes, add a handler for the CreateClient event:

  control:
    event:
      CreateClient: |
        client_id = argv[0]
        # now do something with the client_id

> and then move that client to a specific screen, then after moving
> the client to a specific screen make the client fullscreen?

  control:
    event:
      CreateClient: |
        client_id = argv[0]
        client = Client.new(client_id)
        client.send '1:1' # screen 1, column 1 (see manpage below)
        client.fullscreen!

> The fullscreen part does not seem difficult but I am confused as
> to how dual monitors work with wmii.

From the wmii manpage under the "/tag/ hierarchy" section:

           area        ::= <area_spec> | <screen_spec>:<area_spec>

      When  <screen_spec>  is  omitted  and <area_spec> is not
      "sel", 0 is assumed.  "sel"  by  itself  represents  the
      selected client no matter which screen it is on.

           area_spec   ::= "~" | <number> | "sel"

      Where "~" represents the floating area and <number> rep‐
      resents a column index, starting at one.

           screen_spec ::= <number>

      Where <number> representes the 0-based  Xinerama  screen
      number.

Cheers.

--
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
        Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle