On 25 October 2011 13:08,  <he...@in-silico.ch> wrote:
> Running the example code at the bottom of
> https://github.com/wedesoft/hornetseye-xorg results in the following
> error:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
>  Atom id in failed request:  0x0
>  Serial number of failed request:  10
>  Current serial number in output stream:  11
>
> The same code works well with wmii and fluxbox window managers.
> Strangely enough it works also from time to time with dwm, but I have no
> idea how to reproduce these working conditions. Never had problems with
> other X applications under dwm.
>
> I have been able to track the following code
> The error is raised by
>
>  m_wmProtocols = XInternAtom( display->get(), "WM_PROTOCOLS", False );
>
> https://github.com/wedesoft/hornetseye-xorg/blob/master/ext/x11window.cc#L258
>
> Unfortunately I am completely clueless when it comes to X programming
> and would appreciate any help to solve this issue.

Imho you tracked the issue to the wrong line in your code. The issue
is more likely caused by
https://github.com/wedesoft/hornetseye-xorg/blob/master/ext/x11window.cc#L255
(haven't checked though) which in turn refers to
https://github.com/wedesoft/hornetseye-xorg/blob/master/ext/x11window.cc#L251,
which might not exist (due to the True as last argument) in case of
dwm. dwm doesn't use or set any MOTIF hints.

HTH,
Anselm