On 02/13/2013 20:15, Sam Watkins wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:20:10PM -0500, Strake wrote:
because major distribs like Fedora or Ubuntu plan to use it.

They can use clay tablets for all I care.

there is no way any linux distro in the foreseeable future will drop
support for Xlib, that would be ridiculous.  If they use Weyland,
there will have to be an X emulation library for it.  That's all.

Agreed.

There are too many man-hours invested in applications based on Xlib.

I wouldn't worry about it until libraries like Gtk and Qt have been ported. But even then, there are hundreds or thousands of apps that
use Xlib directly.