Don't be discouraged by the other replies. I have been caught off guard by a
dmenu of my own use being a bit too subtle for me to notice, and a shadow would
have made it more clear that a new object needs attention. Not sure why anyone
would complain about a UI advancement that is both trivial and backed by years
of research.