Hi,

I would recommend to simply to C projects. Suckless.org is great place
to find sane C code with simple Makefiles. If you already are programmer,
you should be able to learn C by just using it, no reading necessary.
This way you should get a solid understanding of the basic quite fast
and with time you will pick up one the more advanced topics.

Regards
Mattias Andrée