The existence of the spawn function in dwm surprises me. Wouldn't it be more
consistent with Suckless' values (simplicity, minimalism, modularity) if the
job of spawning commands were relegated to a hotkey daemon, such as xbindkeys
or sxhkd?

It is true that some people could be driven away after being greeted with a
black screen without any preconfigured keybinding to open a terminal or dmenu,
but dwm takes pride in "keeping its userbase small and elitist, withoutnovices
asking stupid questions".
That's just curiosity; I still take dwm for the best WM out there.