On 23/09/22 10:26AM, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> You can have inputs like
>
> ./build.dash rebuild
>
> which first cleans earlier compiled files and builds.

All of the build systems I listed support cleaning and rebuilding as well.

> Dependencies would go into logic of shell script, it can have
> check_dependencies which checks for files. Normally as you code a shell
> script!

Of course, one could rewrite any build system, with varying degree of
difficulty, in shell script if needed, but then one would a) still write build
scripts (Makefiles, .do files...) in that build system, and b) that would be
suboptimal. Shell script is not a general-purpose programming language. Just
some of the drawbacks of using shell script is that it is a slow, insecure,
interpreted language with limited expresiveness. Above all else, it was not
designed to be a general-purpose programming language.

P.S: https://git-send-email.io/top-posting.html