I think the discussion was around what our ability was to configure this,
but I think actually submitting the request would be "downstream" of
documenting and voting on a release process and branch mechanics.  Should
we hold off on this?

I think details need to be hammered out and voted on. An example, why are
we using two hyphens? Can we be more "normal" and just use either
release-.* or release/.*? These decisions are going to have implications
that the project is stuck with (ability to use tools that the rest of the
world uses, etc), so it might be good to actually document and vote on a
carefully-considered process/plan before asking the admins to configure the
repos.

Just my two cents.

Dave