From: CARLOS EDUARDO DANTAS DE MENEZES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Dec 28, 2006 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [lingu-dev] Re: Spanish grammar checker
To: dev@lingucomponent.openoffice.org
Cc: john owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all!

My name is Carlos Menezes, I'm one of architects and developers of CoGrOO (
http://cogroo.incubadora.fapesp.br ), an open source Grammar Checker.
Currently, version 1.1 of CoGrOO is linked with OpenOffice and corrects
Brazilian Portuguese texts.
Itaipu Binacional, the company that runs the largest operational
hydroelectric power plant in the world, has adopted CoGrOO in 70% of its
computer park (about 2,300 computers).
CoGrOO is being completely rewritten (version 2) to ease its porting to
others languages. Its road map plains a port to English language (and
Spanish too). We consider these versions of CoGrOO can diffuse it.
But we need resources to do it. Below, there is a list of tasks and
resources that we need to port CoGrOO 2 to another language:

- License for a good annotated corpus, like Penn Treebank Corpus for English
language.
- A native-language English linguist (we estimate 250 hours-man of work):
- Define what is the public target of this tool
- Estimate top-50 mistakes of this public target (maybe native-speakers)
- Write simple rules, according to our templates, to detect the most of
these mistakes
- Test rules in our prototype
- Refine rules
- Developers (we estimate 650 hours-man of work):
- Infra-structure improvements (300 hours-man)
- Implement the Corpus interface to the chosen corpus format (100 hours-man)
- Implement the Tag interface to the chosen corpus syntax
- Generate dictionaries (50 hours-man)
   - Morphologic dictionary
   - Primitives dictionary
- Design the features to each OpenNLP module (100 hours-man)
- Train modules
- Test the NLP modules and adjust features if necessary
- In conjunction with the linguist, design and implement rules to spot the
grammar mistakes in the texts (100 hours-man)
- Fine-tunning of the grammar analysis modules

Regards,

Carlos Menezes.