That is probably caused by two factors:

1. The Synapse trunk uses the wrong version of Axiom, namely
1.2.9-SNAPSHOT. However, the Axis2 trunk has been switched to
1.2.10-SNAPSHOT.
2. The Synapse POMs refer to a Maven repository at WSO2 that contains
completely outdated (08-Feb-2010) Axiom snapshots with version
1.2.9-SNAPSHOT. On the other hand, since Axiom trunk is at version
1.2.10-SNAPSHOT, the Apache snapshot repository no longer contains
1.2.9-SNAPSHOT (Nexus automatically removes outdated snapshots).

Depending on the state of your local Maven repository, you will
therefore end up running Synapse with a current Axis2 snapshot and a 6
month old Axiom snapshot. Not surprising that this fails.

I'm hesitating between changing the axiom.version property in the
Synapse POMs to 1.2.10-SNAPSHOT (or 1.2.9) and removing the dependency
altogether so that it comes in as a transitive dependency through
Axis2 (with whatever version is expected by Axis2).

Andreas