Il 22/12/2015 16:46, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
On 22/12/2015 13:13, Fabio Martelli wrote:
Il 22/12/2015 12:57, Massimilino Perrone ha scritto:
Hi guys,
I'm sending this mail to share with you an idea to solve the problem to know who is using Syncope (and where) to create, for instance, an html page on the Syncope website with some reference to the Syncope installation around the world.

Basically the idea is to have a REST service (somewhere) where to send some anonymous information about the Syncope installation, the latter may be sent during the installation through the installer (adding a check box) or adding a link in the Info panel, on the Syncope console.

Recapping, I'm thinking two use cases:
UC 1) Check box on the installer.
Whether checked, after installation, the installer send "something" to the "famous" REST service.
UC 2) Link on the Info panel.
Whether clicked the console send "something" to the "famous" REST service.

For "something" I mean only the information as the location, system properties etc etc; in this way the information will be anonymous. But we could think also something more evolved, for instance a form with some *not* anonymous data as company, state, etc etc...

WDYT?

I suggest to have UC1 and 2 both available: UC1 seems to be simple and standard but we risky to miss installations performed in a different way.
BTW, from my personal point of view this is a great idea.

This looks definitely interesting, and I support Fabio with having both UC1 and UC2 available.

In case we agree to go on with this idea, I believe some tasks are needed:

1. check with with comdev@ (or legal@ ?) if there is nothing bad in implementing such mechanism 2. develop the server-side app (to be hosted in a dedicated branch of our GIT repo?)
 3. ask infra for a VM where to run this app

Can we keep on with the next step?
Regards,
Massi

Massimiliano Perrone
Tel +39 393 9121310

Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

"L'apprendere molte cose non insegna l'intelligenza"
(Eraclito)