Hi Francesco,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org
> wrote:

> I agree that the existing Roles in Syncope are fine to map that concept;
> the problem I see to assimilate the existing Entitlements with the new
> entities being discussed so far in this thread, e.g. Privileges and
> Applications.
>
> Entitlements are a pre-defined set of strings (which can also be extended,
> as we see in the Camel Provisioning Manager), specifically targeted to
> implement delegated administration, e.g. only for internal purpose.
>
> Privileges could be instead used to model the rights on a given
> Application; please note that the former might depend on the latter, e.g.
> "POST on /a/b/c" but also "Administer printers".
>
> Summarizing: while Roles currently have only Entitlements associated, in
> the future we might also associate Privileges (which in turn are related to
> Applications) to them. As a result, user U with role R will own both
> Entitlements and Privileges.
>
> If "privilege" is not suitable as name, let's then rename the existing
> Entitlements to something else and use the word "entitlement" to model the
> new concept instead.

OK this all sounds fine to me. Hopefully we are nearing agreement :-)

<SNIP from other email>

I don't see the point in associating Groups to Roles: the former are both
> for Users and Any Objects, the latter only for Users.
>
> Moreover, you can always define dynamic Group memberships based on Role
> assignment and vice-versa [1][2], e.g. User U is dynamically assigned role
> R because he is member of Group G or U is dynamically member of G because
> he has R assigned.

I agree that dynamic role association due to group membership models the
scenario of "every user in Group X should have role Y". There's probably
nothing too objectionable about supporting being able to statically
configure it though. Are there potential performance problems with dynamic
membership I wonder if you're dealing with large amounts of entities?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder