Hi Philip,
first of all, I am glad that Syncope "looks like just what we need for
Identity management".

I noticed that you are quite struggling, let's see if I can help.

1. you don't need to build Syncope from source, even if you need to
customize / extend it for your own deployment (e.g. adding your own
code): generating a Maven project from archetype [1] is exactly for that
purpose; moreover, all tutorials / documentation / deployment
instructions you will find are meant for this setup, not for build from
sources

2. nevertheless, if you plan to contribute fixes and / or features,
setting up your local build environment is anyway a good idea, but take
also into account that:

* Syncope 2.1 is the current stable release, actively maintained and
released from the 2_1_X git branch, requires JDK 8
* Syncope 3.0 is next major release, currently under high development
and subjected to changes; currently in the master git branch, requires
JDK 11

Having said that, in case of contributions, I'd say it would be easier
to start with 2_1_X / JDK 8

3. To deploy into an external Tomcat, just keep following Andrea's
advice [2]; again, please note how this is meant for a Maven project
generated from archetype

HTH
Regards.

[1] http://syncope.apache.org/docs/2.1/getting-started.html#create-project