I have to say I couldn't agree more.

I am trying to decide whether to incorporate SystemML to the catalog of
tools we use at work. As part of my due diligence, I was checking github
commits to assess project health, and it didn't seem very promising.

Learning now about about the tugraz fork makes it even more worrying.

Is the project dead?