Hi Matthias,

Thank you for the clarification with regards to the parser grammar and
built-in functions. To me, as a relative newbie, in one way, the built-in
functions seem similar to java.lang.* classes in Java, but in another way,
they seem almost even more intrinsic than that.

I guess what I was mainly trying to get at is that Dml.g4 is fantastic in
terms of flexibility, especially when considered in conjunction with the
supporting referenced Java classes, but Nakul's grammar for IDE support is
able to convey the essence of the language capabilities (such as built-in
functions) in one place.

Also, consider the following. The icdf() function is not in Dml.g4 since it
is a built-in function. It is handled in the
parser.ParameterizedBuiltinFunctionExpression class. On the other hand,
as.scalar() is in Dml.g4 and in parser.BuiltinFunctionExpression. However,
castAsScalar() is not in Dml.g4 but is handled similarly in
parser.BuiltinFunctionExpression.

As a result of this, I am now confused. If I am trying to understand what I
can do with the language, do I look in Dml.g4 (such as for as.scalar()), do
I look in BuiltinFunctionExpression (such as for as.scalar() and
castAsScalar()), or do I look in ParameterizedBuiltinFunctionExpression
(such as for icdf())?

Perhaps as.scalar() needs to be removed from the grammar and as.scalar()
and castAsScalar() need to be condensed to one function and I will be less
confused. :-)

Maybe I am overthinking things. The DML Language Reference does contain a
tremendous amount of useful information with regards to the language
capabilities.

Deron