From:   Deron Eriksson <deroneriks...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:   08/02/2016 05:39 PM
Subject:        Draft for August monthly report

Here is a draft I created for the August monthly report. Feedback welcome.

Deron

-----
SystemML

SystemML provides declarative large-scale machine learning (ML) that aims
at
flexible specification of ML algorithms and automatic generation of hybrid
runtime plans ranging from single node, in-memory computations, to
distributed computations running on Apache Hadoop MapReduce and Apache
Spark.

SystemML has been incubating since 2015-11-02.

  - Grow SystemML community: increase mailing list activity,
    increase adoption of SystemML for scalable machine learning, encourage
    data scientists to adopt DML and PyDML algorithm scripts, respond to
    user feedback to ensure SystemML meets the requirements of real-world
    situations, write papers, and present talks about SystemML.
  - Continue to produce releases.
  - Increase the diversity of our project's contributors and committers.

aware of?

  NONE.

  Our mailing list from May through July had 237 messages including a wide
  range of topics. We have gained 6 new contributors since May 1st. On
GitHub,
  the project has been starred 365 times and forked 129 times. Fred Reiss
  spoke at Spark Summit on June 7 about building custom machine learning
  algorithms with SystemML. Mike Dusenberry presented about SystemML on May
19
  at Datapalooza Denver.

  We produced our second Apache release, version 0.10.0-incubating. The
  project has had 205 commits since May 1. 187 issues have been reported on
  our JIRA site and 127 issues have been resolved. 70 pull requests have
been
  created since May 1, and 63 of these have been closed.

Date of last release:

  2016-06-15 (version 0.10.0-incubating)

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2016-05-07 Glenn Weidner
  2016-05-07 Faraz Makari Manshadi