Is dependency really an issue today, particularly when we bundle the
dependencies with the SystemML jar ? I'd rather include a dependency then
reinventing the wheel and create some code again (unless the dependency
code is flawed).

Also, +1 for continuously reviewing / updating / triming out dependencies.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975