well, for arguments passed into dml scripts there is of course ifdef($b, 2)
but for functions there is indeed no good support. At runtime level we
still support default parameters for scalar arguments at the tail of the
parameter list but I guess at one point the corresponding parser support
was discontinued.

I personally would like a default specification similar to R in the
function signature with the corresponding function calls that bind values
to a subset of parameters.

Regards,
Matthias