Good point.

I don't know if any Apache projects do that by themselves, but in some
cases maybe a Docker image could be a binary distribution to consider.
MavenCentral/Sonatype seems to have lost the lead on that, but Bintray
(their mirror and equivalent to MavenCentral is JCenter) did a lot for
Docker. Performance-co-Pilot has multiple Docker images and also Linux
packages like RPM. Especially the Groovy community loves Bintray,
everything related to Groovy or Gradle can be found there first.