I find Sonar to be useful, but I also take those analyses with a
significant grain of salt.

First of all, whether a given commit will pass or fail the sonar analysis
is a bit of a moving target, and it's also not easy to reproducible
locally. This means there is a bit of guesswork involved if getting a
passing grade with Sonar is a requirement. In contrast, with checkstyle and
other such tests, one can easily verify locally before pushing to master or
creating a PR.
Plus, with Sonar, it is sometimes the case that certain issues are really
false positives, and having someone's pull request be rejected for that
reason can be pretty uninviting, especially if the person is new to the
code base or isn't familiar with how Sonar determines "failure".

Aaron