Ryan Holmes <ryan <at> hyperstep.com> writes:

> It seems to utterly contradict the primary goals of
> Tapestry 5 which, as I understand them, are to bring some of the
> advantages of *dynamic languages* to a Java web framework

I found that out later. Is it written somewhere as the design goal
of T5? If so, I'm sorry that I've missed that. This would have saved
us a lot of time.

> It would be a serious mistake to build two fundamentally different
> philosophies into Tapestry 5 and expect users to perceive the
> schizophrenic result as "flexible." They won't -- they'll only find
> it confusing and will move on to other, more coherent frameworks.

Agree.

> I also have to note that, based on the total lack of support from
> users or developers for the concept of "type-safe Tapestry", I'm
> afraid Kent is the only one who doesn't see that he is pulling in a
> different and ultimately counterproductive direction.

Interesting. You mean the following have never existed?
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/45117/focus=45143
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/45117/focus=45143
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=44119#226878
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2005/07/vs-makes-me.html

In addition, I suppose you have seen people keep asking for IDE
support for Tapestry. My proposal is not only about compile time
checking, but also first class IDE support.

But anyway, please don't waste any more time on this issue as it is
now clear that Tapestry 5 is going to be a Ruby web framework for
Java programmers. As such I fully agree that compile time checking
and first class IDE support are conflicting goals.

--
Kent Tong
Author of a book for learning Tapestry (http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)