In theory, it seems like this should be possible.  Given how HLS has described
the new system, the two systems should be orthogonal.
It would be ugly, though, to have two systems.  Still, I'm personally +1 in
keeping the existing URLRewriting system, but deprecating for the 5.2-series
release, and then removing it altogether in 5.3.
That would ease the barrier to upgrade, and give users time to play with the
new system before yanking the old one out from under their feet. That would be
my preferred approach.

Robert