Btw, I believe most projects deployed on GAE doesn't use JAR packaging
because of GAE Eclipse plugin and *.class files are actually on the file
system in production (In Eclipse GAE plugin there is just an option to
deploy eclipse java project to GAE, I don't think that some packaging
happens during this process).

Just to clarify I understand this right: Is live class reloading turned off
when application runs in production mode?