I would consider spliting based on criteria like js libs. The reason
being why would
I want to carry over 300~500KB worth of jar for prototype when i'm not using it?

On another note, i'm not sure why tapestry-upload needs a separate subproject
(one can manually exclude commons-fileupload)

As Howard said, it's probably not trivial to split core, esp. in so many pieces
and indeed i too believe those where a lot! But that doesn't mean everything
new should reside in core either.

In the user messages case, what really caught my eye was the plan for js
integration of it. While that makes total sense, it also ties the core even more
to prototype (while as i said above i'd strive for the opposite
direction). Of course
it's always easy to talk and contribute no code (and i haven't) but
the plan's for this
to change.

Another issue about separate subprojects is separate releases (and
versions). As i
understand it, most devs are against this - but it also feels this
kills one of the
benefits of separate projects. Does anyone see any value in making this work?
How about building something like an appstore for components/projects?

Andreas Andreou - andy...@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry PMC / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting