Been chatting with clients (who may help fund this) and just thinking
about plans.  Here's a rough outline of what I think I can commit to
in 5.3 and 5.4.

5.3
- Deprecate Javassist inside ComponentClassInstantiator, replace with Plastic
- Deprecate ClassFactory, provide necessary hooks to use Plastic
- Move Plastic into Tapestry?
- Gradle build for Tapestry
- Improve debugging experience (shadow per-thread values into shared
object fields in development mode)
- Improve asset pipelines for
  - Dynamic generation of content (example, .less files converted to
static CSS automatically)
  - JS/CSS minimization
- Do something about Component Report ... turn it into an Ant task,
perhaps, or integrate Component Report into JavaDoc directly
- Minor JS improvements, set expectations for 5.4 rewrite

5.4
- Remove Javassist entirely
- Remove ClassFactory
- Rewrite JS entirely, introduce abstraction layer and backwards
compatibility layer
- Maybe cometd/server-push support

I'd love to see both these releases in 2011.

In case you missed in:  http://github.com/hlship/plastic

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry