I didn't check all the Tapestry code I wrote in the last few years, but I'm
pretty sure I used BeforeRenderTemplate and BeforeRenderBody to abort the
rendering of template and body. Removing the rendering would definitely
loose some flexibility. Because the rendering state diagram would look like
this:

BeginRender -> RenderTemplate -> RenderBody -> AfterRender

it wouldn't be possible to skip rendering body while allowing rendering of
the template. If you skip template rendering, you automatically skip body
rendering.

Having said that I'm against removing these methods.