On 07.01.2013 00:29, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> We had a big discussion some time agao about the way to do things, and we
> even captured the results of the dicussion in Confluence:
>
> http://tapestry.apache.org/version-numbers.html
>
> So for once, I feel like I'm on the right side of a "following procedures"
> discussion.

What you are quoting concerns version numbering only.

> Snapshots have their place, but the stability of a preview release has its
> value, despite the hoops Nexus makes you jump through. It says that this
> particular binary represents a consistent view, and is stable enough for
> evaluation and discussion; a snapshot doesn't have even that level of
> guarantee.

What are preview builds other than a snapshot at a specific point of time?

IMO snapshots, or nightly builds, also represent a consistent view: the build
and all tests passed
and for Tapestry with its numerous tests this probably means more than other
projects' stable
releases in terms of stability.

Anyway, my point is not about whether we should rename preview builds but
solely were we make them
available to our users. I find the one maven repository per preview build
inconvenient for our users
(and myself of course). Since they clearly don't belong into the main maven
repo, the next best
thing would be to upload them to the snapshot repository.

I don't feel strongly about this, it's just something that crossed me when I
had to update my maven
repository URLs and could not just simply change the Tapestry version number.

Uli