If you use that Columns component you'll also need some CSS:

DIV.t-column {
    float: left;
    padding: 1em;
}

Or, you can use a different CSS class name (other than t-column) by
passing the class name as a component parameter:

                <t:columns number="3" columnClass="foo">
                    <t:loop source="items" value="item">
                    </t:loop>
                </t:columns>