Lenny,

As for whether ASM will be upgraded in the next version of 5.3, I
don't see why not, if there is any demand for it. All the developer
focus has been on 5.4, of course, so currently there doesn't seem to
be a need for any 5.3.8 release. As always, that can change.

As I understand it, ASM is "baked in" with a modified package name so
that there isn't a risk of class conflicts with any other occurrences
of ASM in users' applications and libraries such as Hibernate. Read
the last sentence at http://asm.ow2.org/doc/faq.html