Github user anew commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-tephra/pull/68

    Running this test locally, I can see the cause of the failure in the logs:
    ```
    2018-01-11 15:10:52,501 - INFO  [TransactionStateCache
STARTING:o.a.t.c.TransactionStateCache@113] - Failed to initialize
TransactionStateCache due to:
    com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Guice provision errors:

    1) Unknown HBase version: 1.4.0

    1 error
        at
org.apache.tephra.util.HBaseVersionSpecificFactory.get(HBaseVersionSpecificFactory.java:60)
 ~[classes/:na]
        at
org.apache.tephra.util.ConfigurationFactory.<init>(ConfigurationFactory.java:66)
 ~[classes/:na]
        at
org.apache.tephra.coprocessor.TransactionStateCache.getSnapshotConfiguration(TransactionStateCache.java:118)
 [classes/:na]
        at
org.apache.tephra.coprocessor.TransactionStateCache.tryInit(TransactionStateCache.java:99)
 [classes/:na]
        at
org.apache.tephra.coprocessor.TransactionStateCache.refreshState(TransactionStateCache.java:158)
 [classes/:na]
        at
org.apache.tephra.coprocessor.TransactionStateCache.startUp(TransactionStateCache.java:75)
 [classes/:na]
        at
com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractIdleService$1$1.run(AbstractIdleService.java:43)
 [guava-13.0.1.jar:na]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_80]
    ```
    So the fix would be to
    - add a case for 1.4 in HBaseVersionSpecificFactory.get().
    - that will require also adding a getHBase14Classname() and implementing it
in ConfigurationFactory.
    - rename the HBase13ConfigurationProvider in the 1.4 compat module to
HBase14ConfigurationProvider (along with its test case).

    I tried this in my local build and the test then passes.

---