> However there are some good reasons as mentioned. I still have some
> questions:
> Is libevent 2.0.x not backward compatible? Can users take libevent 2.0.x
> with the current code?

Yes, libevent 2.0.x is backward compatible. In fact, at work we build
Thrift against libevent 2.0.x.

> Does the bufferevents usage require lot of code changes? Detect with
> configure script and use that or the other libevent api ?

The existing code need not change. The evhttp stuff used by C++ async
http client uses bufferevent internally but that's transparent to the
Thrift code. It does make it possible to build a generic (non-http)
async client. I have an almost working implementation of TAsyncChannel
using bufferevents.