Hi Jens

Quoting Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>:

Hi all,

a frequent question is how a (typically server-side) event handler could find out more about his counterpart, say the IP address or the like. The common suggestion is that this is highly depending on the transport (which is true) and therefore doomed to fail if anything changes at that end, hence one /may/ use a cast but ... you know.

Here’s the question: Why can’t we just come up with some standard way how these variable and context-sensitive information can be handed over to the event handler(s), either implicitly by default, or alternatively on request? Two approaches that immediately come to my mind are these:

a) a simple key/value map (both strings?), where key can be anything
b) some predefined structure that can hold all kind of information possible with existing transports

While (a) is easily extendable, (b) is probably more performant.

Thoughts?

I'm in favour of b) as it seems to be inline with our vision (performance + interoperability)

I guess a) will fragment the behavior and usage within the languages too much

best!
-roger