From: BCG [mailto:bgo...@hushmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 8 October 2015 1:55 PM
To: dev@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Re: Major feature suggestion/observation

Perhaps an approach that wouldn't require completely rearchitecting the compiler could be implement a mechanism that allows filtering the generated code as it is being written out. For example, the compiler could make a call to some sort of filtering callback that has the capability of modifying the "default" code that is generated, or even replacing it entirely. Information about the current state of the parsing could(should?) also be passed into the callback. If you want a somewhat cheeky eat-your-own-dogfood approach, this could even be defined in IDL as a Thrift service, with an optional command line flag to the compiler for specifying a protocol and transport to an implementation (in that case, people could tweak the code generation using their language of choice, or even just consume the events to feed into their own completely separate template engine if they choose to do so).

I'm sure that a templating tool could be a great approach with definite advantages but the Thrift compiler seems pretty baked at this point and ripping it apart to rebuild it seems like a monumental effort and a huge risk.

I've been using Thrift for a while now and I'm interested in contributing to the project. If this is an area that you all think would be valuable to work on, I'd be willing to try to help out however I can. Or if there is another area of the project that has a more urgent need of attention, I'd be glad to try to help out there instead, just let me know. Mostly I know Java, C, PHP and Javascript and a few other tricks I've learned over the years.

-- Ben