Github user jeking3 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/798

    We need to decide if we move forward with this or not.  I'm in favor of
const correctness here however it is one of those things you need to do from
the beginning because it changes the ABI.  We have a prettu good test suite for
this project and I think the only possible issue is that user's subclasses of
these bases might no longer override what they expect to override.  As with all
breaking changes however it would be documented in the readme for lib/cpp.

---